Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Local Color

What I DON'T like about my neighborhood are the latest developments:  last week across the street a piece of newspaper was spread across a small animal corpse on someone's front lawn.  How do I know it was a small animal corpse?  Surely because of the small bits of multi-colored fur scattered across the grass barely a yard away from the newspaper.  My neighbor came out as hubby and I were passing and was very discouraged.  She said it was the second one that week.  She does not have a six-foot fence.  Which I do.  Nonetheless, the FEAR of GOD struck me at 7 a.m. today.  I had been out of town for the weekend and last night when I got home, my two small critters clamored to be let out.  It was not to pass (dark already at 4:30 p.m.!) but this morning first thing we were outside, sniffing the grass and lounging in the soft early morning air.   At one point the "young lady" rushes the corner of the deck which conveniently joins the top of the south fence and then permits rapid access to another neighbor's yard.  (And to her, a paradise of squirrels and maybe a lizard or two.)  As I lunged after her to keep her from going over, I saw a coyote lope away down the hill.  Coyotes can leap six foot fences if they are hungry enough.  (EEEEK!!!!!!!!!)

The station fire seems to have put pressure on our local ecosystems.

What I DO LIKE about my neighborhood is the following:


Remember shamu?


This is the prettiest little street in this part of the world.


Is it just me or does this look like a cricket pavilion in some Indian hill station?


De-constructed or simply un-reconstructed?  A bit of both?


Recently reconstructed.  And very successfully I think.


Mondrian lives here too.


Exotic retreat?


A soupcon of spice.


Sunny side up.


Piece de resistance........it's all


Except for the coyotes.  And that's all folks!  From around my way!

5 comments:

  1. Look at that beautiful red house - I may like to borrow that for Cafe Cartolina if I may? Great pictures - I love your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red house made my heart swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That red and green house is STUNNING! I want to paint my house those colors now. GREat photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the exotic right in your backyard! Great energizing colors. I really like the Mondrianesque balcony too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to fantasize about repainting my whole neighborhood (or at least photoshopping it), I saved myself some trouble: I just moved! Thanks ladies for all the comments. Glad you liked those colors. Yes Fiona! If you'd like to use the photo that's fine. One day I'll post the garden that goes with that house.

    ReplyDelete