Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Corner View - Home Sweet Home




When Mr. Paradis and I first came upon this house in Los Angeles, there were many things that figured into the magic of buying it........dead and aging rock stars played a role, four legged animals, really good friends, of course family, and then - open sky and, slightly less..... compelling views.  (We overlook a huge hospital and an equally ugly television studio.)  

The indoor decor was so "us".  Except for the fact that the living room has no windows.  It took us a good night's sleep to completely understand that.  Because we were so carried away and in distracted love with the house.

Mostly because of what's in this picture exactly.

When I lived in New York for seemingly a very long time, I lived with a seeping dread that never ever again would my life feature long summer evenings in the kind of yards from where I could view sunsets and where plenty of grass would grow.    

If I were never again to have such a thing, I thought, I would NEVER be HOME.

With this home, I get the grass and the sunsets.  As much as I love my squooshy sofa that I fall asleep on every night, and my kitchen that is so solid and warm on dark afternoons, what really makes me feel at home and safe, and at peace, is what you see up there.  The string of lights really makes it, doesn't it?







20 comments:

  1. oh yes! très bonne journée là-bas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many reasons why we consider something our home. To have a lovely place to sit outside is one good reason for sure! I know what I'm talking about, I don't have that. But who knows where my next home will be when I finish my studies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really an idyllic spot. The terrace of my dreams... in Paris !
    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed the light makes it all! What a lovely sweet place. But it is your light that shines the brightest through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! Makes me think what makes my house a home. Looks like a dreamy place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a wonderfull place to be, love the lights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, idyllic spot! And the string of lights must make it quite magical, all lit up on a warm summer's eve...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A private house with a terrace - I wish also to me. It is very comfortable with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it does, love those lights, and love the other details that make that space so perfect for meals and watching the sun go down.

    Your writing of "home" hits home, as we are constantly looking, weighing, hoping to find such a place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, the string of lights are perfect ... would love to see them in the evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful patio! So glad you finally got the sunsets you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cela me rappelle notre premier appartement en Inde, les mêmes stores en bambou et les mêmes guirlandes d'ampoules pour illuminer les soirées ... doux souvenirs !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. C'est vraiment joli et plein de charme. Ca doit être très agréable de dîner ou de lire dans cet endroit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, what a beautiful post and story! when you have your own private view on sunsets it doesn't matter that your living room is windowless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yes ! i LOVE the string of lights !!! they are just perfect !! i love a good outdoor area and this one is simply wonderful ! way to have your cake and eat it too ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have real inner space (livingroom), and real outer space (garden). Extraordinary.

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to be sitting on your patio. What a great space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. for sure. i'm also always stunned at how our desires change alot, when we are put in front of a possible new home.
    did i get my view on an unlimited sky? nope. do i live in a one storey convenient dwelling? nope. is my house 'antique'? nope.
    nonentheless, it feels a lot like home already. which is a fine lesson to learn.
    n♥
    i simply love the cozyness oozing from your picture.

    ReplyDelete