Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wisdom of Elders - A Late Night or Early Tomorrow Corner View

I was engaged in fairly intensive blog-avoidance and general lolly-gagging earlier in the week so I somehow missed the Corner View theme for the day.  But here's what I think about life when I'm flat on my face in the sand, lost in my own thoughts and letting the world pass me by:

This comes from my oldest Aunty (Auntie?) who is about 93 now.  She says that "you can get used to anything".



I have fully taken on board the practical common sense of accepting one's circumstances such as they are and the surprising truth that we human beings can actually "get used to" all sorts of (and sometimes awful things).  But I take it as more of a cautionary admonishment.  i.e.,  you CAN get (too) used to them but - you SHOULDN'T SETTLE  for them and you DO have choices! 

I suppose this is just a variation of that very very very old prayer: 

God Grant Me the Serenity to Accept the Things I Cannot Change.  Courage to Change the Things I Can.  And the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

I don't actually believe in God, but I do believe in the God in me.

And no, that isn't Bentley either.  If only.





1 comment: