Friday, November 28, 2014

At Liberty. For the Weekend.



The always ORIGINAL.  And the Best.  LIBERTY'S.


I'm sorry to say it.  And it's already been happening for a long time.


At Harrods.  But in the grab for more and more profits, certain shops in London are beginning to resemble shopping in the souk.  Now don't get me wrong.  I adore a good souk.  (Not that I've actually had the privilege to go to a real one.) But In My Humble Opinion, it's happening at the Conran shop too under Jasper Conran's new direction.  All those awful dark glassed pillars filled with bitty overpriced rubbish you can get everywhere else.  (Not what I've ever gone to the Conran Shop for.)  Such shops are getting so crowded you're always bumping into things and in terror that you'll have to pay for whatever you've tipped over.  


THANK GOODNESS.  This has never been the case at Liberty.  And if you are bumping into things and your breath is taken away, it is only in DELIGHT.  It's a souk in the proper sense, because it's colorful and rich, and patterned and alive.  And doesn't take itself too seriously but takes YOU, and your enjoyment, seriously.


It will always be the meeting place I dearly hope, for the brightly plumaged, birds of a feather, to alight.  Doesn't it remind you of a giant aviary for fascinating flitting?

It does me.  These pics from my September visit.  Ooooohhhh!  Christmas is coming to Liberty.  Just imagine!

Hope it was a good Turkey Day!  Hope it's a good weekend!








1 comment:

  1. I was just reminiscing on the wonderful Christmas shop windows in the west end that I recall from my childhood. Liberty's Christmas offerings were always my favorite (they used to have their Christmas shop in the basement). Fortnums was also magical.

    It is good to see they are still at the top of their game.

    ReplyDelete